Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has some dry skin and some bumps on s back. Try to

Customer Question

My dog has some dry skin and some bumps on his back. Try to determine if the relifor will help him. I have bath him but he seems to be uncomfortable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Preston is uncomfortable with dry skin and bumps on his back, even though you have bathed him and applied hydrocortisone lotion, and you would like to know if Relifor spray will help make him more comfortable.

Relifor is a combination of an aminoglycoside antibiotic (gentamicin sulfate) and a glucocorticoid (betamethasone) in a topical spray formulation. This is probably more effective for dogs with superficial red, irritated skin or hot spots. His lesions sound deeper and under the skin rather than superficial so I don't know that it would be very efffective. If hydrocortisone lotion didn't help him this spray may not either.

In case this is an allergy related skin problem to relieve the itchy skin you can give and antihistamine and an omega 3 fatty acid supplement. Antihistamines dogs can take include:

1) Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with acetaminophen or decongestants as they can be toxic to dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15-25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mgs per 25 pound dog once or twice daily.

OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.

OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants.

Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. You'll have to see which one works. Give whichever one you pick a week to 10 day trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example a 30 pound dog could take 600mg of EPA per day.

If he has any raw areas I would use a solution mix of Betadine solution and warm water, made to look like weak tea, and clean the affected areas twice daily. This is an antibacterial and will dry the lesions out to allow them to heal. It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside. Betadine solution (generic name is ***** ***** solution) is available over the counter at the drug store, if in doubt ask the pharmacist for help.

If he is no better in 4 to 5 days then she really must see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostics and probably some oral antibiotics.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anthony,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Preston. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara