Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Stiffness in the back legs Loss of appetite Abdomen tight

Customer Question
Stiffness in the back legs Loss...
Stiffness in the back legs
Loss of appetite
Abdomen tight and distended
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Richard,

Sorry to hear Scruffy is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Having read you question through the thing that is causing me greatest concern is the distended abdomen since this can often indicate a number of serious disease conditions in the dog. The loss of appetite and stiff legs could well be secondary to this.

2. Where a dog's stomach is tight and distended then this is often caused by fluid build up in the abdominal cavity a condition known as Ascities, if this is what is going on then as I said it can indicate serious disease.

3. So what would be some of the common underlying causes of Ascities in the dog? Well if I wanted to list just some of the more common causes of ascities in the dog it would be :

A. Heart disease.

B. Liver disease including tumours

C. Kidney diseases.

D. Protein losing enteropathies.

3. What to do about it? : Given the above is accurate all you can do is to have Scruffy examined by your vet as you can arrange. I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedies for him, of course other diagnosis are possible but there is just nothing you can do on your own in terms of home remedies where ascities is suspected.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Richard,

I am just checking back in to see how Scruffy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his distended abdomen ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian