Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a tall like a pig/pug.It's curled and sticks up

Customer Question

My dog has a tall like a pig/pug.It's curled and sticks up never covering his bum. Even when you try to uncurl his tail it goes right back to curly. Well today he has been having loose stools and can't holds his bowels very well.his tail is also straight now and curls under his bum area between his legs.it has NEVER been like that.he is also throwing up a bit of saliva.he wouldn't eat anything earlier today, even his favorite treat that he normally goes crazy for! I gave him today to see if his tail issue was because he wasn't feeling well..however, its still the same.it doesn't appear to be hurting him.and...normally, whenever I would try to mess with that bum area he would growl and get nervous...tonight he let me mess with that area including all over the tail, which is very limp.no bruising, etc...it doesn't seem to be just a tail issue, as it coincided with the sickness.I'm very concerned, but don't want to pay for a huge amount of testing and stress him out with xrays, etc when it may go away...? Have you seen this before? He is a Chihuahua and we think a pug mix...if I were to call a vet office, obviously they would tell me to bring him in as they can't tell me anything over the phone..so I'm not looking for just a take him in answer...thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I agree with you - this isn't a tail issue. It's not unusal for dogs to carry their tails low when feeling unwell. We should concentrate on his gastrointestinal distress which could represetn a dietary indiscretion - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item or, instead, arise secondary to any number of gastrointestinal disorders and systemic disorders that affect the GI tract. In most cases as long as my patient is stable, I'll "watchful wait" these dogs for up to 72 hours. NOT doing is appropriate if for the only reason it rests the GI tract and that means fasting Diablo for up to 24 hours. Persitent vomiting and/or diarrhea, however, risks dehydration and electrolyte imbalance and would be indications for supplemental fluids and electrolytes which are best given by needle either subcutaneously or intravenously as an outpatient or while hospitalized.

May I have an update on Diablo, please?