Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We just rescued a 5 year old german pinscher/ italian

Customer Question
Hi we just rescued a...
Hi we just rescued a 5 year old german pinscher/ italian greyhound mix female this past weekend. I did her teeth scraping and brushing and notice the top distal incisor is broken and rotted but not loose yet, the other top distal incisor is in good condition but at the gum line has rotting and is loose. I have her on antibiotics right now for kennel cough so the gums are not red or inflamed. If i continue to brush and clean her teeth regularly will the two rotten teeth fall out on their own? also I have read that doing antibiotics for 5 days at the beginning of each month until the rotten teeth do fall out is helpful to keep her from getting blood poisoning. Is that true? we own 4 dogs total. one requires a lot of medicine for joint issues and another one just had to have a surgery done for a growing tumor in her. so we dont have the funds at the moment to get the two rotten teeth extracted. I do fostering and rescue so i am able to get the antibiotics for a low cost so we can and will give her that if it will help her. she is eating dry dog food just fine since her molars are in great condition. all other teeth look great and no gum recession not even where the teeth are rotting. what do you recommend.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. I do understand about your $$ concerns but this is very important. Regardless of whether you do antibiotics or not these two teeth staying in can cause your dog to get osteomyelitis in her jaw. And it is not possible to keep her on antibiotics for months. And pulse therapy like you mentioned is good but only for gums with healthy teeth. This is not for the situation you have. Since they are incisors I would suggest seeing if it is possible to get a vet to do it with heavy sedation with a local anesthetic. This would be less expensive and would get the problem taken care of the correct way. It is important to be careful with antibiotic choices because using them indiscriminately can lead to a resistant infection. So, I would suggest that you look for a vet that will work with you on cost and be flexible about techniques used.I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my servcice as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Hi we have an appointment set for her at the humane society. They are going to look and see if they can do it, everywhere else I called said that we have to do a full dental first and then extraction. Dentals all starting around $500 plus extraction costs so could go over $1000 depending. If the humane society can do the extractions then they will and without a dental cleaning first so under $500 total which we can try to work with. They see her on the 17th and then we will know more. So far she is doing well. No inflamed gums and they are still pink not red so that is good. her breath isn't very bad either just has those few rotten teeth needing to come out.

Hi thanks for the response......you will need to save up for a dental cleaning as well. teeth scraping is not the way to go with this.....here is why.....when you scrape the teeth you create tiny etches in the enamel that can only be smoothed out with low speed polisher. Second and most important of all is you need to get under the gum line as this is where all the damage is done. With a high speed ultrasonic scaler a vet or vet tech can get under the gums with a perio prole and remove all the calculus and biofilm and bacteria that is under the gum causing the periodontal disease to start with. So, while I understand your financial concerns taking a short cut with this is only going to lead to worse health issues for your dog in the future. We take care credit at my office so you might see if one of the vet offices takes that so you could get the procedure done correctly. I hope this helps you in some way. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian