Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Two of my dogs are vomiting And not wanting to eat. They are

Customer Question

Two of my dogs are vomiting And not wanting to eat. They are both chiauaha mix One is 5 mom old the other almost 2 years and I think she's pregnant. We have 2 other dogs and they seem to be fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pups are not feeling well tonight - I'm here to help :)

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. When I see multiple pets in the home who are throwing up, I lean more toward infectious things like a "stomach flu", although it's certainly possible that they all ate something that was out of their usual routine. If they're not up to date on their parvo vaccines, I would be concerned for parvo, which can be a very nasty life threatening infection that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. If they're not up to date on their parvo vaccine, I'd be quicker to seek veterinary care.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the symptoms of parvo and is it treatable?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Symptoms of parvovirus are mainly lethargy, vomiting, anorexia (not eating) and diarrhea. The vomiting and diarrhea cause severe dehydration, so the mainstay of therapy is aggressive fluid support, ideally achieved by IV fluids administered in the hospital. The disease itself is viral, so the goal of treatment is to keep them hydrated and as comfortable as possible as the virus runs its course. With treatment they can do quite well. Here's a little more info: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs

Keep in mind that parvo isn't the only possible reason for a dog to vomit, though. It just happens to be the scariest. The others that I mentioned are just as possible.

Let me know what other questions I can handle for you

~Dr. Sara