Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a nine week old cockapoo. I just got home and took

Customer Question

I have a nine week old cockapoo. I just got home and took her out of her crate. I noticed that she has vommitted all over the crate. I am very concerned. She won't drink any water right now.
She seems ok. If anything, she seems clingy and tired.
She ate at 5:30p (it is now almost 11p). She has had regular peeing and regular popping today. There has been nothing out of the ordinary with her diet. The vomit was buff colored, and there were three piles of it. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to see that Ryder isn't feeling well. Are you online to answer a few questions so I can better help answer your questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Great. Can you take a look at Ryder's gums and tell me if they are pink or if they are pale? Also if they are moist or dry?

You say she had regular bowel movements today? that is good news! Has her appetite been normal up until now?

Has she had any vaccinations yet?

Has she had any new foods/treats/table scraps today?

Does she chew up and swallow things she shouldn't, such as toys or socks, etc.?

If you have a thermometer at home, you can take her temperature. You will need to lubricate the thermometer with vaseline or ky jelly or similar substance, and insert it just inside the rectum. You just need to insert it an inch or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums seem pink and moist. There has been nothing out of the ordinary as I can tell-- she had her full dinner at 5:30 and her appetite, then, was fine. I do not have a thermometer. She is sitting on my lap and feels a little warm, but I admit, I may be reading into that. She has had initial puppy shots. She gets another round next week, and another round right at Thanksgiving.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that all sounds like good news! She may feel warm because a dog's normal temperature is higher than ours. They can normally be up to 102.5 degrees.

If she is alert, breathing normally,and the vomiting isn't continuing, you can continue to monitor at home. I have attached a link her to an article on managing vomiting at home:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353

So you want to wait 6 to 8 hours after she has vomited before offering her anything to eat or drink. If she needs to go out to potty, take her on a leash so she can't eat grass or anything else outside. Her tummy needs to rest. If she goes 6 hours with no vomiting, you can start offering her small amounts of water or preferably pedialyte/gatorade since she is so small and young and we don't want her blood sugar to drop every few hours- about 1 teaspoon per pound of her body weight each time. If you don't have pedialyte or gatorade you can make a little sugar water or honey water instead. If after this, she has no vomiting, then tomorrow morning you can offer her a very small amount of food such as white rice and boiled chicken breast. If she keeps this down you can continue giving small meals every few hours.

If at any point she becomes weak, starts vomiting again, has diarrhea with any blood, trouble breathing, pale gums, then she needs to get into the vet ASAP. This is especially important since she is so young and small, it is easier for her to get dehydrated.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! If the vomiting starts up again tomorrow or she isn't back to her normal self, bring her in to your vet for an exam. If you can take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping answer your question, I would greatly appreciate it. Good luck with your pup!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello,just wondering how Ryder was doing today?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ryder. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay