Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog got in some trash and now has diarrhea what can I

Customer Question

My dog got in some trash and now has diarrhea what can I give him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know what he ate out of the trash?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any blood in the stool?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

6- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Part of roast with meat potato corrals onion gravy he weight around 65lbs no blood no meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an idea of how much onion he got of eaten?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, as you may already know sometimes a dog will develop diarrhea when the body is trying to get rid of unwanted things. In this case, the fact that he got into the trash I would not recommend you give an anti diarrhea to stop the diarrhea abruptly especially if he ate onions. You see, onions are toxic to dogs so if the body is trying to get rid of the onions and you give an anti diarrhea this can make things worst. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with family vet in 1-2 days for a blood test to make sure blood cells are ok. You see, onions can cause damage to red blood cells and cause anemia.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter