Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I got home @10pm and found my dog's hair was standing up.

Customer Question
She pooped and peed and...
I got home @10pm and found my dog's hair was standing up. She pooped and peed and functioned normally. Then I found the bottle of proin that she'd gotten into - missing 11, 50mg pills. She is about 50lbs and consumed the pills prior to my roommate getting home @4:30pm on an empty stomach. I have checked her heart rate: 68bpm. Her pupils are dilated and her butt hair is still standing up, but she seems ok otherwise. She left her dinner alone but has had plenty of water. I think it is too late to try to induce vomiting and there is no emergency/on-call vet in this area. What should I do at this point.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. If more than 2 hours has passed since she took the Proin { As seems likely } then there is little point in inducing vomiting, this would now have little effect.

2. Under these circumstances all you can do is to monitor Roxie for any adverse effects. However the good news is that this medication normally has a rapid onset of action so if it has been a few hours since she swallowed the tablets then I wouldn't be too concerned as serious side effects would now be unlikely, this is very encouraging.

3. However keep a good eye on her, expected symptoms could include restlessness, inappetance, vomiting, faster breathing rate, vomiting, tremors or even seizures. If adverse symptoms do start then there will unfortunately be nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis, your only option then would be to get Roxie to an ER vet even if it means driving some distance.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again ,

Just to let you know that I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Roxie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Roxie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Proin overdose ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian