Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 22lb beagle drank around 9oz (a little under 3/4 can) of

Customer Question

my 22lb beagle drank around 9oz (a little under 3/4 can) of Dr Pepper about 20 minutes ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog drank your Dr. Pepper.

There is 41mg of caffeine in an entire can, so he likely ingested about 30mg of caffeine. He weighs about 22 pounds or 10mg, so this is 3mg/kg. This is well under the toxic dose of caffeine, but you may still see hyperactivity, agitation, panting, and pacing.

There is also a significant amount of sugar in this drink, so I would recommend feeding a high protein snack such as cooked chicken or eggs to counteract the sugar and slow the digestion.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your beagle this evening? Did she have any problems with the Dr. Pepper?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda