Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My Puggle has floppy ears that around the ridge/outline of

Customer Question

My Puggle has floppy ears that around the ridge/outline of the ear flap there is a crusty zigzag of hardened cartilage. Almost like a zig zag ridge or zipper formation. It is the exact same on both ears. Basically not a external factor, but a health disorder/disease/ allergic reaction/ nutrient deficancy affecting the cartilage at the very end of the ears. It is very sensitive to the touch from the reaction my dog does. But she does not try and rub her ears or scratch them. So I believe that if they're not being touched they don't bother her. I have searched the Internet for any kind of pictures of this ear problem/disorder because this being the same on both ears it's had to happen before. I have had no luck. My vet wants to do a biopsy. That doesn't make any sense to me because both ears are affected. Almost symmetrically. Ideas/Suggestions? Or, I know exactly what that is and how to treat it.
Submitted: 1 year ago via VeterinaryMedicalImages.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of Lela's ear to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to try and send some photos and see what you think. Remember there on both sides of the ears. Not just one year is affected both ears.
Thank you
Charlie

Thank you, ***** ***** that photo is only in focus as a 1/2" square. Can you try again? It appears to be an advanced ear margin dermatosis - an idiopathic (unknown cause) seborrheic condition of ear margins in dogs with pendulous ears. Differentials mainly include autoimmune skin diseases and vasculitis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if the pics are coming through. I did get a couple good ones. The ears are sensitive when you touch them so she doesn't like it but if you can let me know if you got the pictures that would be great. I have put triple antibiotic on it for extended period of time no difference. I Also used panalog it's good for about everything I have found, but no difference.

All of the pics are only in focus as 1/2" squares but ear margin dermatosis, autoimmune skin diseases and vasculitis are the main differentials. Your vet is correct to suggest biopsy. It's the only manner in which to differentiate one from the other. Treatments vary considerably depending upon which of these differentials is present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK she's got to go in for her rabies shot so will do a biopsy and see which one it is. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.