Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was mistakenly given the intranasal bordetella

Customer Question
vaccine as a shot....
My dog was mistakenly given the intranasal bordetella vaccine as a shot. The vet who made the mistake is clueless about what to do. My dog is experiencing pain, lethargy, and the shot site is swollen. What are the proper protocols of treatment in this situation? We are visiting another vet in 4 hours
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Prompt administration of potentiated amoxicillin (Clavamox) is the standard of care. The goal is to kill the Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria which were injected under the skin. The antibiotic should be administered for a minimum of two weeks which usually suffices to eradicate the cellulitis - inflammation of the tissues. This needs to be done before abscessation (the accumulation of pus) occurs which would then necessitate lancing and flushing of the abscess just as we would do with a bite wound or other penetrating wound abscess. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

it has been about 24 hours since the initial shot. Inflammation has started as it was given in the groin skin. It has started to swell a little. What if the area is not lanced/flushed? Also, is there short or long term liver issues that you have seen?

Prompt administration of the Clavamox should avoid abscess formation and the need for lancing/flushing. It should also prevent translocation of the bacteria to Maggie's liver or other distant sites. It's much too early to be checking liver enzymes or administering a hepatoprotectant such as Denosyl. No, I've been fortunate not to see liver involvement but I and my colleagues know to treat promptly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Do you feel we need to perform blood work on the liver periodically over the next few years from this?

No. There's no reason to believe that successfully treating this infection - even if it involved his liver - would cause lasting liver damage. The liver is marvelously regenerative.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian