Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Recently I noticed my pug is not responding to me. I call m

Customer Question

Recently I noticed my pug is not responding to me. I call him numerous times but he seems to not hear me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does he seem ill in any other way?

Do his ears seem painful, or is he scratching at his ears or shaking his head often?

Any history of ear infections?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He flinches when I touch his ear but doesn't cry or whine. He had yeast infections in the past due to being allergic to grains. I recently tried a new food which is grain free. I noticed his eye has some yucky stuff in it
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. My first concern would be that he has an ear infection that is affecting his hearing. It may reside deeper or even be affecting the middle or inner ear. If he has had some chronic infections, that can even cause some swelling of the ear canal which can limit hearing. I would have your vet evaluate his ears again because it does sound like they are bothering him. Testing hearing in dogs is very different without doing BAER testing, which measures brain waves in response to sound. Unfortunately, you can only find those machines in a veterinary neurologist's office. I would be looking for ear infection problems first, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.