Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

OUR 3 MONTH 4 DAY OLD POPPY DIED ON OCT 29 2015 FROM PARVO.

Customer Question
OUR DAUGHTER INLAW WORKS AT...
OUR 3 MONTH 4 DAY OLD POPPY DIED ON OCT 29 2015 FROM PARVO. OUR DAUGHTER INLAW WORKS AT THE VETS SO THEY ENDED UP LETTING HIM GO. BUT NOW WE ARE DEALING WITH THE DADDY DOG. HES NOT EATING OR DRINKING NO GOING POTTY. WE DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, THEY DONT GO OUT WHERE OTHER DOGS POOP JUST IN OUR HOUSE AND BACK YARD WHICH IS CEMENT. DOES THIS MEAN THE MOTHER DOG WILL BE NEXT?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Since there has been a recent Parvo situation, it would be ideal to have the father checked by his local vet. They can test for parvo to see if he is infected (+/- you could have a stool sample from the mother dog tested too since she is at risk). Otherwise, they can make sure we don't have any other issues brewing.

Otherwise, I would note that you can start some supportive care to try to help get PeeWee eating/drinking again. And of course, if we get food into him, we will likely see stool as well. Therefore, to start, we can try to settle his stomach using an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

If he cannot be tempted and isn't vomiting, then we can also syringe feed him. If we need to do so, we will usually use a calorie dense diet like Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Clinicare, or Dogsure. As well, in a pinch, we can water down canned puppy food to syringe feed. All have more nutrition per bite and therefore can get quite a bit of nutrition into him even if we cannot get a large volume in.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, with the puppy's passing and dad signs, we do need to tread with care. Therefore, you can try the above just now but also consider having a stool sample tested for the virus. Depending on the results of that and his vet's check, he may just need symptomatic care. But if they confirm Parvo for him too, then we'd want to treat aggressively to help give him the best chance of getting through this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian