Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We had our 9 year-old Terrier out walk at a State Park. When

Customer Question
We had our 9 year-old...
We had our 9 year-old ***** ***** Terrier out for a walk at a State Park. When we finished with the walk, her face began to swell and now 7 hours later her paws are swollen. We have given her Benadryl. She also has a jiggly sac on her throat area. No breathing problems though.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and it sounds like Madison is having an allergic reaction.

First, we need to ensure that you are giving enough Benadryl. Did you give 3mg per pound of dog? That would be at least 25mg for a Jack Russel, even up to 37mg depending on her size? Also, you can dose her every 8 hours.

If you gave her enough Benadryl, I think it is time to take her to the local animal emergency clinic. They will give her a steroid injection to stop the allergic reaction. The risk of waiting includes injury from scratching her face and eyes as well as the allergic reaction progressing to anaphylaxis. When dogs go into anaphylaxis, they will have vomiting, diarrhea, white gum color and collapse. Most dogs end up dying from anaphylaxis.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

I saw your other question about the jiggly throat and paws. The throat area is swollen because of the fluid in the face sinking downwards. The paws is an extension of the allergic reaction and I would consider that she may have walked through something in the park that irritated her paws as well.

An insect bite or a poisonous plant are both very likely possibilities for the causes of her allergic reaction.

I am getting ready to log off for the night. Do you have any more questions for me? I will be back on-line tomorrow evening and will check in with you.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

How is Madison this evening? Did you end up taking her to your regular veterinarian or the emergency room last night? How is the facial and paw swelling?

Dr. A

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian