Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I use vigamox little poodle's eye infection? Her eye

Customer Question

Can I use vigamox for my little poodle's eye infection? Her eye kids are swollen and pink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

In direct answer to your question : The fact of the matter is this, Vigamox (moxifloxacin) is prescribed now and again, particularly for the treatment of corneal ulcers in dogs, so it is not toxic to them as such but it is by no manner of means a first line antibiotic for regular use for treating the likes of pink eye.

Having said that I would always seek to dissuade clients from self treating any eye condition in their dogs, you see most small animal vets will have seen eye problems which have gone wrong in a spectacular and irretrievable fashion following a wrong diagnosis, the wrong treatment, or a delay in treatment.

The safest thing here is just to thoroughly flush your dog's eye with luke warm water every three hours or so and then have your vet take a look at the first opportunity.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I will wash out her eye wig warm water and take her to the dr. I'm not sure if it is even pink eye. It is just a little pink and swollen on her top eye lid.

Hello again,

That sounds like the way to go ...

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her eye problem.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.