Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My boxer is lapping up water constantly and cant seem to

Customer Question
keep her mouth closed. She...
My boxer is lapping up water constantly and cant seem to keep her mouth closed. She is not eating like she use to, seems like she cant chew. I had to start feeding her with a syringe (baby cereal) She got all excited when she sees the syringe.She is getting me up every 2 hours at night paces all the time now. Her water last week had blood in it too.She also had sores in her mouth and throat I took her to the vet 3 days in a row and they took blood test.They then looked down her throat and said she had ulser sores in her throat and mouth. Everything came back okay in the blood work. I was referred to a Vet 160 miles from where I live.They took all kinds of test and said she is healthy. I have never had her act like this. There is something wrong with her. $2000.00 later and still no answers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
they ruled out stroke too. My question is what do I do to find out what is really wrong with her
11/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your girl is so ill. It definitely sounds like there's something really out of the ordinary going on here. I want to caution you that if three vets who saw her in person and ran diagnostics aren't sure what's going on, then it's unlikely we will be able to get you a diagnosis in this forum. I would really need to know exactly what tests were performed and what the results indicated as well as what thoughts and suspicions your vets have had so far. Have any treatments helped so far? When did this all start?

I'll await your reply

~Dr. Sara

They tested for diabetis. infections, stroke, kidneys and some of the levels needed for a answer.and all the other normal tests.etc. Also did scope down her throat and saw ulsers. they gave meds for ulser but that did her worse more than better. They first thought she got into some poision or chemicals but that got ruled out too. She's a inside dog and supervised when out. This started a week and a half ago.

Thanks for the reply - that is all very helpful info.

If the only thing seen so far is ulcerations in her mouth and esophagus, then I'd also be most suspicious that she ingested something caustic. The ulcerations themselves are often the only evidence that's we are going to see if they ingested a chemical that burned their tissues. If only the esophagus and mouth are involved, the placement of a feeding tube into her stomach (a PEG tube) will allow you to keep up with her nutritional requirements until these ulcers heal. I assume that if the vets are saying that she's healthy in every other way, they expect these to heal on their own and that she's not losing weight or showing any other signs of illness.

Another diagnostic that can be helpful is biopsies of the affected tissue, although if she suffered some sort of mechanical or chemical injury to the tissue, biopsies aren't going to be able to say what caused it in the first place. What we would be hoping to rule out with biopsies is something cancerous, as cancer can come in many shapes and forms and look like just about anything.

Aside from that, I'm reaching into other diagnoses that would be quite rare. Vasculitis is an inflammatory disease of the small vessels that can cause ulcerations in tissues, but it's usually widespread and comes with abnormalities on the blood work. Severe kidney failure can cause ulcers, but again the blood work would have been abnormal. The good thing is that this is a relatively recent onset problem. If the vets really did say that they feel she's healthy in every other way, you should begin to see improvement any time now as she begins to heal. If not, it's likely your next step is going to be biopsies.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

im now waiting on biopsy

Fantastic! I didn't see biopsies in the initial plan, but that's a very sound strategy. How is she doing? Are you seeing any improvement so far? I'll be happy to help you digest the biopsy results when those come in too.

~Dr. Sara

Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian