Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

13 yr old dog, tip of nose is “granulating” seems to be

Customer Question
moving up snout, dividing into...
13 yr old dog, tip of nose is “granulating” seems to be moving up snout, dividing into vertical sections. Problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
male dog. pekinese-pug mix. Normal diet, normal activity. condition began 5-6 wks ago.
11/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. While of course I cannot be 100% certain it does sound very likely to me that your dog may have a condition called Nasal Hyperkeratosis.

2. If the above is the diagnosis then it is rarely anything to worry about, this condition tends to happen more commonly in older dogs and is basically an abnormal build up of keratin for reasons unknown. The excess tissue will usually build up on the tip of the nose, but sometimes it may progress to crack or bleed.

3. Very often treatment is not necessary since mild cases are more a curiosity than a disease, however you may like to try applying a moist compress to the nose for 10 minutes or so to soften things up and then apply the likes of Vaseline, A&D Ointment or Ichthammol ointment. Do this twice a day, I have known this approach help.

4. Another approach would be a specific Keratolytic Gel such as Kerasolv these types of product contain Salicyclic, your vet will advise.

But the bot***** *****ne is that this sort of condition is rarely anything to worry too much about ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

five stars credited from courtesy. have no ides how accurate or valid it is. until I do research. but sounds good. thanks.

Hello again,

If this is indeed Nasal Hyperkeratosis you are dealing with as seem likely then this does not sound too serious, but there are simple measures you can take to improve your dog's cosmetic appearance.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I read the answer last night. I rated it 5 stars because I did not know how accurate the response was. Have researched, . . . it seems to be exactly right. Thank you. Suggestion . . . Assume you would like best communication with clients . . . please revamp this website. Difficult to use, must click several useless places before finding response. Please understand may be extreme anxiety over pet, so provide answer on first click, why make user go though several layers of useless drivel? Seems very self-serving. Just serve the client, not try to generate more business by phone! Would be nice to have truly client based interest at heart!

Hello again,

I will pass your comments on the site admin ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian