Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I include a picture with my question?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cecil B. Demille. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Thank you for the picture. Are you concerned about the dark area on his eye on the side nearest his nose?

There is a parasite, called Onchocerca, that we see in dog's eyes, but they are nearly microscopic in size so I would not be able to see them in this picture. Usually we find them by doing a biopsy of the conjunctiva, the pink tissue around the eye. They are tiny white worms.

Has Cecil been examined by a veterinarian or an ophthalmologist?

Onchocerca is rare, and most commonly seen in young dogs, so the chances of Cecil having a parasite in his eye is unlikely. It is mostly seen in the southwestern US; where do you live?

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

How is Cecil doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? I hope you were able to see what I sent.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cecil B. Demille. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian