Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 to 20 lb dog ate 70 mg alendronate sodium is this life

Customer Question
threatening...
my 15 to 20 lb dog ate 70 mg alendronate sodium is this life threatening
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

No lethality was observed in dogs receiving doses of up to 90 mg/lb. Observed adverse effects associated with overdoses included hypocalcemia (low serum calcium), hypophosphatemia (low serum phosphorus), and upper GI reactions (vomiting, mainly). The low calcium and phosphorus levels aren't likely to arise with a single overdose. A recently ingested overdose should be treated with orally administered antacids such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb or omeprazole (Prilosec) at a dose of 20 mg; or milk to bind the drug and reduce absorption. Don't induce vomiting. Monitoring serum calcium and phosphorus levels are indicated if you see signs of weakness, tremors, or indeed, seizures which would represent severe hypocalcemia.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian