Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Have 13 yo lab mix. Was fine until @5 pm. Started dry

Customer Question

Have 13 yo lab mix. Was fine until @5 pm. Started dry heaving. Hes drinking not eating. Urine and bowels normal. Stomach distended slightly but not tender to touch.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

A distended abdomen in a senior dog is concerning, can you please tell me his gum color? Whether his gums are sticky or moist?

Also what a rectal temperature is and respiratory rate (breaths per minute while at rest)?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be signing off in about 15 minutes but want to make sure you are aware of when it is recommended to find a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I hope Poppy is doing better since you asked your question

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning, please remove water as well to allow the stomach to rest since he is vomiting even with an empty stomach

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 20mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 40 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Poppy comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

But please if you note any signs above with him being restless and dry heaving with a mildly swollen abdomen then please consider a veterinary er...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Respirations are normal. I have not taken temp. Gums moist. Im contacting er vet in morning. Thank you. You were helpful
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, you are definitely in my thoughts, please also monitor gum color and temperature if you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and Poppy to see how he did after our conversation yesterday? I would love an update when you are able...