Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our dog Sofia is a Siberian Husky, she is 11 years old. Two

Customer Question

Our dog Sofia is a Siberian Husky, she is 11 years old. Two days ago, a growth approximately 2 by 2" wide came thru the skin on her neck. Is there a way to tell if it is cancerous? I took her to a vet clinic and they wanted $1000.00 to remove the growth. I am a single mom and can't afford to do this. Is there a way to send a picture to you?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Sofia. There is no way to tell if this is cancerous or not by a picture. With a growth like this, could it be something cancerous or benign? Those are the considerations. Surgical removal is a very good way to get the mass off and to have a representative sample to determine what it is. This is the gold standard for identification purposes. It may also allow for a cure if it is removed in its entirety. One down side is that if it is a more aggressive cancer, it may not all be removed by the initial surgery if wide enough margins aren't taken. To be honest, your options at this point are as follows:

1) Ask your vet to do an aspirate of the mass to send in cells from it for evaluation. This requires a needle, a syringe, and a slide. The cost to doing this is very minimal and it has a good chance of telling if this growth is more aggressive or not. Not all fine needle aspirates are diagnostic though. Depending on the results, then the recommendation at that point may be to take it off or not.

2) Get a second opinion with another vet for surgical removal. Different clinics have different costs for procedures and if you call around, you may get a lot lower quote for this procedure.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sofia. How is everything going?