Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

What is a good dog food Dog diagnosed with Colitis

Customer Question

What is a good dog food for a Dog diagnosed with Colitis
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Daisy. Colitis is basically inflammation of the colon due to some stimulation. What sets off one patient can be different from another. A lot of cases it is related to food / treats being eaten. As far as what is the best for her? There is no exact situation for every dog. What would be a very good recommendation is to feed one of the bigger brand dog food diets that has a "sensitive" stomach formulation. Hill's, Purina, Iam's all have their own of these. To be honest, a lot of colitis cases are flare ups due to eating something that sets it off. Could there be some treat, table scrap or thing eaten outside that is setting it off? Trying to be as regular with the diet as possible is best. Not giving any new treats or table scraps is key to maintaining them.