Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

One week old puppy with slight blood in urine

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because young puppies do not have a mature immune system, it is easy for them to develop a Urinary Tract Infection or a Vaginitis if this is a female. Your vet will have ot check this puppy and start your puppy on antibiotics because the puppies immune system cannot fight this off. I wish I could give you a home remedy for this but without the antibiotics that are only by prescription, this could get worse without treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

This is a male puppy and after just paying 1500.00 to a vet I am broke. I have amoxicilin will this workl?

This is most likely a UTI so amoxicillin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs may help. It is hard for me to say since I have not had a chance to examine your little one so do the best you can. At this age, there can be other issues causing this such as a hereditary problem and we cannot know this without a good physical exa. If the puppy is still active and nursing, he may do fine.

Thanks... This was very helpful.

You are very welcome....I hope your little guy will be ok!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian