Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Two days ago my golden retriever ate a dental rawhide. He

Customer Question

Two days ago my golden retriever ate a dental rawhide. He was gagging a bit that evening so I put my hand in his throat and felt a little bit of the rawhide I think. In my effort to grab it and try to pull it out, I pushed it down into his esophogus and could not feel it anymore. After that, he quit gagging and has been eating fine. He seems to be acting normal. The only thing is that when he walked on a leash just now he pulled a bit when seeing another dog and then coughed after because his collar choked him. He usually doesn't cough that easily when that happens. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that if you pushed the rawhide down into the stomach, then we'd expect the stomach acid to digest it (usually takes 2-5 days). So, that is not a bad thing to have done and we'd hope not to see any GI upset at this stage if it has caused none since landing in the stomach. Otherwise, based on your description, I suspect that Hendrix has a bit of residual throat inflammation/irritation from that rawhide being briefly caught. This sounds mild if we only have coughing when pressure is applied and in that case, we'd just want to give this time to heal +/- soothe the throat as needed with a mild cough suppressant.

In regards ***** ***** latter, there are some pet safe options we can use. Often we will use Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with dog toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and coughing from this.

Overall, we would not be overly worried here. You did a good job to get that out of his throat and into the stomach where it could be broken down. From here, we just want to use the above +/- use a harness instead of a collar for the next few days. Of course, if this is really bothering him or he isn't settling, then you can ring your local vet about putting him onto a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl, etc) to just get that inflammation settled and remove the sensitivity causing this wee cough.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )