Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog came down with vestibular neuritis (we believe, my

Customer Question

Hi I am Delayne. My dog came down with vestibular neuritis (we believe, my vet and I, I am a physician also) yesterday around 6 am. She was Cath'd in his office, monitored for the day given prednisone, antibiotic shot (current Lyme infection)diazapam 10mg and a lactated ringer 500cc. I picked her up at 5 pm yesterday. She has not urinated since. I have taken her out several times, she still can't stand on her own, must be propped against me, no walking, nystagmus still present though it seems slightly less severe. Mostly sleeping all day today, is drinking water, not much but has had some 4 times today. I need to know when to worry or if there is something I should do to encourage urination. She doesn't seem to be able to squat and she has always been a shy urinator.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Sage. I'm so sorry you're having this problem (vestibular disease can be very difficult to manage), but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Delayne,

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online. I want you to get the help you need because caring for a dog with vestibular disease can be so challenging.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Delayne, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your concern that Sage hasn't urinated yet but hope to reassure you that this isn't something that you need to be overly concerned about at this point. I'm always amazed at the sphincter control which some patients appear to have and if she's experiencing ataxia and is also a shy urinator, then there are several explanations as to why she hasn't urinated.

The best thing you can do is to encourage fluid intake since what goes in must eventually come out. I'd offer her low sodium chicken broth or tuna/clam juice which may be more palatable than plain water. Because these products do contain more sodium (but not enough to cause harm), she may tend to drink more which result in more urine production.

If you're not already doing so, it may also be helpful to support her with a towel around her midsection. She may not necessarily want to urinate in front of you, but when her bladder is distended enough, she will.

Compression of her bladder isn't likely to be effective although you can apply gentle pressure to her abdomen in between her legs if you want to try.

More than likely, she'll urinate in the next few hours either consciously or while she's laying down. Therefore, it may be prudent to place a towel near her vaginal area.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb