Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I do puppy that is 5 weeks that is knuckling over

Customer Question
what can I do for...
what can I do for a puppy that is 5 weeks that is knuckling over
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I believe that you're describing a carpal flexural deformity (CFD) - a musculotendinous disorder producing transient flexion of the carpus and supination of the manus in young animals. This generally affects medium- large-, and giant-bred puppies between 6-16 weeks of age. The differential diagnosis includes distal radius and ulna deformities, ligamentous injury, or bone deformity within the carpus. If X-rayed, pups with CFD show normal bones, growth plates and level of mineralization. The disease is self-limiting and so conservative therapy is appropriate. Provide a balanced diet and avoid caloric excess and mineral/vitamin supplementation. Refractory cases might benefit from a bandage extending from the elbow to the paw and with the limb in normal stance position to be maintained for one to several weeks. It's best that Puppy's vet determine if such a bandage is wise because even in severe cases, improvement occurs with a few days to 2 weeks and recovery is complete by the second to fourth week.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puppy. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian