Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My pregnant labrador has quite a bite clear fluid dripping

Customer Question

My pregnant labrador has quite a bite clear fluid dripping out of her vargina is that normal? Her due date is in 4 days she also has pale gums
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I would have her checked by a vet. The vet can take a sample of the fluid and look at it under the microscope for signs of infection or inflammation.

Also a blood progesterone level could be run to see if she was in labor as in her water broke. But if that were the case, and it started 4 days ago, then there is definitely a problem.

The pale gums are also concerning because that can indicate a lack of red blood cells, internal bleeding, or shock. So if I were her vet I would run blood work to check her red blood cell count for signs of anemia and white blood cell count for signs of infection.

I would definitely have her checked out today by her regular vet. If you wait until the weekend you may end up at the emergency clinic which is big bucks.

How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby