Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What causes gh levels of alkaline phosphate in dogs

Customer Question

what causes high levels of alkaline phosphate in dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Alkaline Phosphatase (AP) is an enzyme that is produced by a number of tissues in the body (ie bone, liver, kidney, etc) and even be elevated by hormonal conditions (ie Cushing's disease). Therefore, when it is elevated it is important to look at it alongside the other blood results to get an ideal of where the problem is.

Now your vet has noted with their treatment, that this may be related to liver disease. Now in those cases, we will also see other liver enzymes elevated (ie ALT, GGT, bilirubin, etc). Therefore, if the AP is climbing despite the liver support, then do check with your vet about these other enzymes and potentially consider having a bile acid stimulation test done (which checks actually liver function) or it'd be ideal to have the liver ultrasounded (to actually see if there is a problem present there). That way you can determine the root of liver issues and ensure you are addressing them as effectively as possible.

Otherwise, if there are no other signs supporting the liver is the source, then we'd need to look back at those bloods again to make sure there are no hints of those other conditions. Or if she has had any lameness or sore limbs, we'd want to double check that we have no bone based issues (infection, growths, etc).

Overall, alkaline phosphatase can be elevated for a range of reasons. Therefore, it is a case of reviewing that result alongside the other blood results to help you narrow down the root cause to then pinpoint the diagnosis for this progressive elevation.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )