Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 year old boy lab has a gh count Transitional

Customer Question
HI! My 13 year old...
HI! My 13 year old boy lab has a high count Transitional Epithelia. I have his blood work. He is having a hard time urinating. He had an accident on himself yesterday. His walking is also not right. Thanks'!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
His count is Transitional Epithelia 4-10 and Squamous Epithelia is 2-3. He does have bacterial rods of 26-50 also. He is having an uncomfortable time walking. His penis and shaft are swollen also. He has no other health problems.
10/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Treevet,
 replied 2 years ago
Treevet

My name is***** have been working in various aspects of small animal practice for over 5 years.

The large numbers of bacteria are definitely indicative of a bacterial infection somewhere in the urinary tract. We missing some of the picture here though. What were the rest of his urinalysis results? Were there white blood cells, red blood cells, ketones, etc...? Also, is he neutered or intact?

Here is his complete blood work. My mom (we) use an at home vet. She is out of town and left antibiotics for him. My mom said she sounded very vague and was distracted on her visit to pinpoint his problem. This is his regular vet. I uploaded his bloodwork. THANKS SO MUCH!!
Dog Veterinarian: Treevet,
 replied 2 years ago

Got it. Thank you.

Ok. So his urinalysis is very suspicious for cancer or a significant infection. To be honest, it is quite rare for male dogs to get such a significant infection. Older male dogs that suddenly develop a urinary tract infection are not common. Generally there is some sort of inciting cause for the infection. The most common reasons for these results are : Prostate infection, bladder stones, prostate cancer, bladder cancer, urethral cancer.

I cannot comment on what exam your vet did but if this were my case I would be doing a good rectal exam to check the urethra and prostate and would be considering x-rays or ultrasound to assess the urinary tract.

The vet did a full rectal exam. My mom did talk to the vet this evening. He started an antibiotic yesterday for 2 weeks (amoxicillin 500mg). She is picking up a steroid in the morning to start him on. She also said in a message that the pathologist wanted to look at the lab results. I do not know exactly what that means. Thanks again.
Dog Veterinarian: Treevet,
 replied 2 years ago

You are welcome.

Yes, a good look from a pathologist may help figure things out. That is a great first step. Thanks for the update.

Treevet
Treevet
Treevet