Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog might have eaten 100 g (half a pill) of modafanil

Customer Question

my dog might have eaten 100 g (half a pill) of modafanil
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much does Kira weigh?

Was it a 100 grams or milligrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
milligrams
about 22 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the dillema here is that this is not a medication we use in dogs routinely. Therefore, we have little safety information on it with this species. Therefore, I will look into this for you now, but in the meantime we need to err on the side of caution.

Since it was just ~45 minutes ago, I would suggest inducing vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml perpound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper,syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally,move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing.This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (avery strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues..

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (donote that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now while you have started those, I have looked into the drug further for you. As I noted there is very little information, but knowing she has had 10mg/kg, we can safely say that that is much less then the fatal dose for this drug. Furthermore, based on what is known via the ASPCA for toxicity cases, this dose is only likely to potentially cause agitation, tremors and shaking. Therefore, if we use the above now, we should reduce that risk for Kira here. Otherwise, if she did develop these signs, we'd want her local vet to start IV fluids to flush the drug out as well as muscle relaxants/anti-seizure medication to soothe those adverse signs over the next 24-48 hours.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got her to vomit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know for sure if she took it but i think she did- she played all day yesterday at daycare so she should be tired today but she was super energetic so i think she did
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that you have managed to make her vomit. Hopefully, she has brought it up and we don't need to have any worries here. In any case, I'd still want you to keep an eye on Kira just to make sure we don't see any of those signs I mentioned. If we see nothing for 12-24 hours, then we are likely out of the woods and we'd expect no further issue.

All the best,

Dr. B.