Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am writing in regards to my 5 month old shih poo. About

Customer Question

Good evening. My name is***** am writing in regards ***** ***** 5 month old shih poo. About for 5 hours ago he started acting odd. He is sitting in one spot but continuously is looking left and right and straight. All while sort of tapping his paws up and down a spastic tap dance. Harry is looking around Lake looking for something but never moves. He also has not stopped panting. My boyfriend poop him, but it did not seem to do much at all. Please get back to me ASAP! I don't want to lose my baby. Thank you very much
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he moving his head as if he were watching a tennis game (back and forth)?

Are his eyes flicking back and forth as well?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any access to toxins (ie chemicals, human medications, plants, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is watching tennis. His eyes are going back in forth, but only a little. I can not get an accurate breath count. He takes 4-5 quick breaths then stops for a moment. His guns look normal and he has no acces to any meds and my cleaning supplies are out of reach. We did go for a walk to the store and were gone for about two hours. At the end of our trip, just before we left the store he had a bm that was a big chunk and liquid
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concerns about Beast.

His signs raise worries of a neurological based issue. The most common reason for this type of rhythmic head and body movement is exposure /ingestion of something harmful. If we are sure he has had no access to anything (even on the walk), then the other concern is that this could be related to a seizure. We can see these signs before or after a full blown seizure but also can see it as part of an atypical one. Causes for seizures in young dogs would include epilepsy, liver shunts (though usually these dogs will show odd neurological signs after high protein meals), again toxic exposures, or brain based lesions (ie swelling, bleeds, infections, etc). Furthermore, I would just note that if his gums are pink, then the breathing pattern is likely related to stress/anxiousness he may have since he too won't know what is going on.

In this case, since it has been 5 hours and he doesn't sound to be settling, it'd be best to have a check at this point. The local vet can check him and bloods to see if we have a liver issue, infection, or if those other concerns are more likely. Depending on their findings, they can start Beast on some Diazepam to see if they can settle his signs. If after their examination, epilepsy is suspect, then they can work with you to decide if his signs warrant further treatment at this point.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )