Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has an inflamed tonsil (l) and an enflamed node. The

Customer Question
Hi, My dog has an...
Hi, My dog has an inflamed tonsil (l) and an enflamed node. The node shows some white blood cells. The tonsil shows some abnormal cells. The oncologist was not sure either so it was sent out to a pathologist. My dog has a history of inflammation with inflamed intestines when he was young (he is 5 1/2 years old now) He also had an inflamed growth on his nose with deinflamatories went away in a couple of months it was also sent to pathology and just come back as inflamed no cancer etc. when he is on pain meds he can eat but it hurts for him to eat and drink with out pain meds, he drools some on one side (he has never been a drooler), prior to the onset he was eating some bushes (I no longer walk him in that area) he also was playing rough with a much larger dog (he is 70 pounds and th eother dog is about 170). He also pulled really hard on his choke chain and it was part way off his head (the left side) he gave a big yelp and it seemed to hurt him but seemed ok after a few minutes. What are the possible problems. I have been reading and tonsilits and lymphoma seem to have alot of the same symptoms.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Snowy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When will you get the pathology report back? That should tell you if this is inflammation/infection (tonsillitis), or cancer. Usually tonsillitis happens in both tonsils.

The kinds of cancer we see in tonsils are lymphoma, and another cancer called squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). I hope that the pathology report does not come back with either of these. there is good chemotherapy for lymphoma, that can bring about a remission of many months or longer. SCC of a tonsil is a terrible cancer, with no good treatment.

I see he was eating some bushes. I am sure your veterinarian already did this, but sometimes a piece of plant material get stuck underneath a tonsil. You have to move the tonsil with a long instrument to see this.

Let me know what other questions you have, and what the pathology report says. Rebecca

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian