Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Looks like a spider or insect bite inside my dog's back leg

Customer Question

Looks like a spider or insect bite inside my dog's back leg and it is bright red and swollen. I put bacitracin all over and now I have an ice pack on it...what about oral benydrl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

An antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is reasonable at a dose of 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) repeated in 8-12 hour intervals if need be. Can you upload a photo of this "bite" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm you received the image

Thank you! Ouch! The Bacitracin was smart. I would wait a few hours and then coat the affected skin with an over the counter hydrocortisone cream and do this two-step every 8 hours until the skin quieted down. Do you have an Elizabethan collar to put on her to keep her from licking that area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Elizabethan collar but I do have hydrocortisone cream...she is a good eater but did not eat her lunch today...her dog walker fed her and she dint eat so i just found it tonight...and then she was having a problem...getting up....I can't believe how bad this is....too late to get her to my vet...but will first thing in the morning...if it continues to look bad.

What's the chance of a scorpion, black widow or brown recluse where you live? A snake is another possibility but that would be a an unusual place to be snake bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in NYS so we can have black widows or brown recluses....not poisonous snakes around here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live near the Hudson river in the Bronx, NY...but there are spiders around here for sure. What about oral beneydrl?

...nor scorpions...two less worries. There can be quite a bit of tissue destruction with some spider bites. Watch this area closely. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing. Yes, as mentioned above, Benadryl is OK. I don't know how helpful it will be, however.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?