Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 13yr old lab. Several months ago I noticed a fluid

Customer Question
filled cyst on his throat...
I have a 13yr old lab. Several months ago I noticed a fluid filled cyst on his throat. The vet has aspirated clear fluid from it twice and I have aspirated clear fluid from it (approx 3-5ml) every 2 - 4weeks. (4 times). What could this be? He doesn't seem to be in any pain with it. He does have several other lumps on his body - the vet says older dogs get. He is eating very well, elimination is good. He is active and pleasant dog.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there- I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. Thanks for sending in your question about Toby - how fantastic that he's doing so well at 13!!

Cysts aren't uncommon at all in middle aged to older pets. They are a benign change in the structure of the skin that traps fluid below the skin in a bubble or balloon. If they're not growing quickly or very large and they're not bothering the dog, depending on the dog's overall condition, many times I don't recommend any particular treatment. If they are bothering the dog, are getting progressively bigger, or seem that they're going to rupture, that usually leads me to suggest removal. Obviously since removal involves general anesthesia, I've got to look the dog over to assess whether it's even a possibility.

Lumps and bumps on the outside of the dog are quite rarely significant in terms of overall health. While there are certainly malignant and life threatening cancers that can pop up in the dog's skin, they're uncommon compared to the myriad of completely benign lumps and bumps that we see day in and day out.

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian