Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a datshun male dog. Something happen to m while he

Customer Question

I have a datshun male dog. Something happen to him while he was playing with my other dogs a couple of days ago. Last night I notice that he had his back legs positioned higher than normal when he is lying his stomach on the floor. I was curious so checked on him and found out that his testicles are a little biggger than normal. This afternoon before leaving for work I looked at his testicles and found them swollen. I didn't see any bite marks that he would have if he bitten by an insect or spiders. I can see now that my little Eddieboy is in pain and trying to protect his testicles from hitting the floor with his back legs. Can someone please help me and tell me what could have cause his testicles to swell up. Is there anything I can get to stop the swelling or any medication to decrease the swelling? Please help me out. I need advise. ----- Thank you so very much !!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Eddieboy's problem. My main concern given your description of Eddieboy's problem is that he could have a testicular torsion. In this condition, the bloodvessels inside the spermatic cord which leads to the testicles can become twisted, which doesn't allow blood to flow normallly out of the testicles. This can cause swelling and pain. The treatment of choice would be neutering (surgically removing the testicles). If the swelling isn't going down, this would be my suspicion. I hope this provides you with some information. If the swelling is going down, it is possible he could have had some trauma that caused localized swelliing and your vet could prescribe an anti-inflammatory pain medication, but if it isn't improving then surgery may be the only option for him.