Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My chiweinnie got t by a car last night and we took m to the

Customer Question

My chiweinnie got hit by a car last night and we took him to the animal er. He has a broken pelvis abs the Dr gave pain meds. He hasn't urinated since early this morning and hasn't drank anything today. However he had been eating....should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

If you cup your hand under his abdomen and slide it front to back, do you feel a large, water balloon type mass, or is he painful?

Is he walking at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He won't let me rub him without him biting. He's in pain. Whimpers with just trying to turn around. He was walking this morning very gingerly but that was at like 8 mst.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. If he hasn't urinated this morning, I would be concerned. With certain types of damage to the spinal cord, it can cause his urethra to tighten up and won't let urine pass through, so he could have an obstruction. With a broken pelvis, it can also displace the bladder or block the urethra as well. If his bladder is obstructed, that can be very bad. If he has been dribbling urine a little, then that may be a different type of nerve damage that won't allow him to contract his bladder to empty it, but it can still fill up and be painful. I would be concerned enough to have him evaluated again tonight. If he is obstructed, then he can be very sick by the morning. He most likely needs to be sedated and palpated by the vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.