How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12796
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my dogs just ate lindt dark chocolate approximately

Customer Question

one of my dogs just ate lindt dark chocolate approximately 2.5 qz
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he weighs about 11 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Am I correct that your dog at 2.5 quarts? Can you please verify?

Since your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

As you may already know dark chocolate is much more toxic than milk or white chocolate so removing this from his system is key. If no vomiting after the second dose of peroxide please consider a veterinary er to give stronger medication to induce vomiting and give activated charcoal orally to minimize absorption...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5 oz
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

This is a serious ingestion for his size.

The calculations advise immediate medical care and could be in a life threatening state. An emergency veterinary visit is recommended immediately.

Your dog is in danger of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Tremors in muscles
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Hyperthermia
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Death
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You can try inducing vomiting immediately to remove it from his system but regardless he should be seen at a veterinary er to minimize any he doesn't vomit from being absorbed with activated charcoal, monitoring heart rate and blood pressure for 4-6 hours, iv fluids to flush out any chocolate that is metabolized

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to get Axle to vomit today and get him seen at a veterinary er. I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!