Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My husband gave my dog a second dose of Rimadyl by accident

Customer Question
what will happened? She is...
My husband gave my dog a second dose of Rimadyl by accident what will happened? She is usually given one dosage a day and the bottle says 1 to 2 tablets as needed for pain. My molly is 7 years old and is about 200 pounds. I am worried about her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thankfully, nothing untoward is likely to occur. In otherwise healthy dogs, a review of the ASPCA APCC database historically indicated that fairly severe gastrointestinal signs may be seen at doses exceeding 20 mg/kg and that diuresis to prevent renal damage should be recommended at 40 mg/kg and above (ASPCA APCC Database: Unpublished data, 2001-2009). Your 200 lb (91 kg) hunk o' dog would need to have ingested 4000 mg of Rimadyl for serious GI problems to arise. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

She should be okay other than being sleepy? She has arthritis and that is the reason she is on this pain medication. I just don't want to cause her harm in having a double dose given.
Thank You

I don't expect her to become sleepy or experience any adverse effects at all. i suspect that she was inadvertently administered 400 mg - 1/10 of the amount before I would be concerned. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian