Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a seven year old pit who has lumps and is possibly

Customer Question

I have a seven year old pit bull who has lumps and is possibly suspected to have uterine cancer. Today I came home to find that she threw up, a thick yellow discharge on the floor, and that she had vaginal bleeding although she hasn't been in heat for years. I'm worried that their might be immediate concerns!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Dallas today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Where are the lumps located that she has on her mammary glands? Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lumps are located around her mid-upper rib area and she is currently not on any medications.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is there a lot of blood coming from the vaginal area or is there just spotting? How is she acting in general? Will she allow you to check her gum color, do they seem pink to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her behavior is nothing out of the ordinary, the spotting is heavier than it was when she was in heat. The most concerning thing is the discharge that is coming with the bleeding. And her gums seem normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does seem to be drinking more water

If her gums are a normal color and she is not bleeding excessively I wouldn't be too worried about her bleeding out as of yet. But I am concerned that she is having vaginal discharge and her drinking more. One common condition I worry about in female dogs who are drinking more and with vaginal discharge is a condition call pyometra. This is an infection in the uterus that can be potentially life threatening. Because of this I would recommend that she gets checked out by a veterinarian just to make sure. She may need abdominal x-rays and a possible ultrasound of the area just to make sure she is okay. Bloodwork may also be needed to confirm that bleeding is not a concern as well.