Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has chucks in s throw up. Can you tell me what that

Customer Question
My dog has white chucks...
My dog has white chucks in his throw up. Can you tell me what that means?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is he vomiting?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How long has this been going on?

5- Any other symptoms?

1. Today, he is vomiting after drinking water. His vomit is now clear, no more white chunks.
2. No change in diet. We have found food thrown in our backyard, don't know if he ate anything .
3. About 17 lbs.
4. He has been vomiting since Friday night. He isn't vomiting as much now.
5. Tired. Doesn't follow me around. He does watch for me and seems to feel better with me in same room with him.1. Today, he is vomiting after drinking water. His vomit is now clear, no more white chunks.
3. About 17 lbs.
PS He can not eat. He started responding last night, tried to eat a little chicken and threw it up

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he has been vomiting since Friday and not able to keep water down I am really concern about his hydration. I would strongly recommend having him checked today by ER veterinarian to start him on supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetics, etc.) while attending veterinarian runs some testing to determine the exact underlying cause of the vomiting. If you are not able to get in to see a vet today this is what you can do until he is seen by family vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

It is now 7:39 here. I just read this. I did take Charlie to the Vets before I even got your answer. I had to have him put to sleep. I do wish I had the info you suggested for the vomiting. Blood tests showed Charlie had the worst of the worst of Diabetes and some other problem with it. The Vet told me it was unusual. The worse is that he knew and I will never be able to forget it. I was lucky, the Vet and others were good and caring, I am grateful for that. It took over fours hours for me and Charlie. Apparently they were busy and yes, Charlie suffered waiting thinking at the end he was going to be able to go home with me. As I was crying and talking to him, he got such a look on his face and I knew he knew. My heart hurts.

Oh my, I am so sorry to learn Charlie was put to sleep. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight. I am sorry for your loss.

Dr. Peter

The Vet told me it was severe Diabetes. I looked up Cushing disease, funny, Charlie had every symptom they listed. I believe it was Cushing disease he had that was connected with the Diabetes. My other dog that had diabetes had different symptoms and two months after he was suppose to be ok with shots, he died. It cost me over $500 on a Sunday for check up, blood test, cremation and euthanasia. Tell me why the cost is so high when nothing was really helpful to help live. The last two should not have cost so much. Maybe I should have brought him home and let him die here. He was all set to come home, and gave me a puzzled look. I won't ever be able to forget that look. I had one put down before, but there was no question, even the Vet agreed with me. He actually came to my home and did it for sixty dollars. I wonder why we are charged so much for dogs as if they are people. Then insurance companies have gotten involved. No wonder people turn their dogs on the street when they know the dog is ill. To pay so much, then to have to put them down is useless.

Friend, if you have questions about the cost at your vet's you will need to direct this to your family veterinarian. If you are asking me in general comparing veterinary cost with human I would have to respectfully ***** ***** you. Human medicine is by far much more expensive than veterinary medicine, the main difference is that humans tend to be covered by insurance. In addition, the training and cost to become a veterinarian is the same as an MD, yet, we get paid a fraction of an MD earns. In addition, we use similar medication and tools. So, our cost is the same as their cost. So, at the end the only thing that changes is the species being treated and the fact that veterinarians and supporting staff earn a lot less than those working with humans.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian