petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My havenese bishon, who is almost 8, had a growth under s

Customer Question

Jackson, my havenese bishon, who is almost 8, had a growth under his chin, took him to the vet, she put him on an antibiotic, a few days later the growth was gone. She shaved the area around the knot. Recently he is scratching the area quite a bit. It is still discolored. Now his eyes are draining, with a purple ring around one eye and both eyes are blood shot. He is still eating well but no longer has much energy. He is just not himself. Do you know what could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I am not sure what could be going on, but this definitely sounds like it is related to more than the previous growth. It is possible that he could be having a reaction to the antibiotics, and when we are suspicious that may medication could be a problem, the best thing to do is to try stopping it for 24 hours and see if things start to improve.

Outside of that, the discoloration and the conjunctivitis can be isolated to ophthalmologic disease or can be a sign of underlying systemic disease. If it continues, I would definitely have him re-evaluated by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z