Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog quit vomiting after 2days and he won't s food but…

My dog quit vomiting after...
My dog quit vomiting after 2days and he won't his food but drinks his wAter and been Peeing in the house .he looks tired too.he never pee in the house but now he is doing it.just water ano solid food I'm getting worried ,see last wk I gave him the pedigree canned food and I think maybe that's when he started throwing up
10/24/2015
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you think he is drinking excessively compared to his usual water intake?

Is his urine very watery?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Been giving A cup of water just when needs it his pee is clear .,no diarrhea ,I think he's drinking more compared before ,no discomfort when I press his belly
My concern is why he's been making wee in the house ,he is a good dog , just want to know .
I'm waiting for ur response ,thank you

I am actually typing out my reply and a treatment plan. I will post this shortly.

Dr. B.

Thank I'm just waiting anxiously
I meant thank you just wAiting

Thank you for patience,

Now I did want to type both my thoughts on Miles's condition as well as some supportive care for his current signs. This is because his increased thirst and watery urine/accidents do raise worries of a more serious issue then GI upset on its own. This is because to see all of these together means we have to consider a GI infection but also pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic diseases (ie diabetes, Cushing's Addison's, etc) or even organ troubles (ie liver or kidney). Therefore, we need to tread with care.

Now because of those urinary signs and elevated thirst, we'd really want to consider having Miles seen by his vet for a check and blood sample. That way we can make none of these additional issue are lurking and address them if they are. Otherwise, I do want to note some supportive care to address that anorexia. Now with is previous vomiting, this does make us most suspicious that his current refusal to eat is related to nausea still. Therefore, at this stage, I would suggest treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider tempting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Or since he hasn't vomited recently, you could also try syringe feeding a calorically dense diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Hills A/D or even wet puppy food). Each has more nutrition per bite and can get more into him even if we cannot get much in.

Furthermore, while he is drinking well we need to keep an eye on his hydration with these other concerns.. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated,there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we need to address nausea if we have anorexia post vomiting. So, we'd want to try the above. Still, Miles's extra signs just raise real worries of a metabolic or organ issue being the root cause for everything we are seeing. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have bloods tested and a check here to pinpoint which is lurking here. That way we can address that and settle all his signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Thank you very much is tried the rice but he didn't want to eat it he just smell but will try it again thank you

You are very welcome,

Start with the antacid to reduce his nausea and then the rice and light diet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian