Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog was taken to the vet itchy black and spots the vet

Customer Question

My dog was taken to the vet for some itchy black and brown spots the vet gave her flea medicine and the pill because she saw a flea on her also gave her prednisone for itch she still has the spots and has now tore her hair out in spots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your Yorkie today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did your veterinarian prescribe that she take the prednisone daily or was it a one time dose? Did she have areas of hairloss as well? How long did she have these signs before you saw the vet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took her in three days after her signs. I first thought it was allergies. The vet said she saw a flea gave her a pill for them plus frontline. She was given a shot and 5 day on prednisone . I took her in about week and half ago. She now has small black spots maybe scars from her chewing but she has bald spots and her back end raw from the digging. It only on her hide legs back .The hair loss began after her visit about 4 days ago .

OK thanks for the additional information Many times dogs who bite themselves also develop skin infections as well. These skin infections can cause dogs to itch as well. She may need antibiotics as well. Did the steroids help with the itching at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They helped some but did not relieve it all

OK the reason that she didn't get complete relief may be because she had an skin infection as well. So she may need antibiotics as well as more steroids to help with the itching. Another alternative for a steroid is a drug called Apoquel. It works just as well as steroids with less side effects. You may also ask your veterinarian about a shampoo that may help with the itching as well

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bethanne Abel. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne