Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was just stung several times by yellow jackets what

Customer Question
should I do...
my dog was just stung several times by yellow jackets what should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is Sam showing any symptoms besides pain at the site of the stings?

How much does same weigh?

Dr. Dan

He is just licking his lips he weighs 67lbs
He is also rubbing the side of his nose on his bed

Thakn you for the information. If he currently doesn't have any hives or facial swelling then you don't necessarily NEED to do anything. Some dogs can take this pretty well. If a particular sting site is painful or itchy then you can put a cold or ice pack on it for 10 min. If he should start to have hives or facial swelling (or you want to make sure he doesn't have this problem) then you should give him 50mg (2 capsules) of human benadryl (diphenhydramine) twice daily for the next three days. If he should at any point have symptoms of trouble breathing or vomiting, then he needs to see the vet for a steroid injection as he's having a life threatening allergic reaction. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian