Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 11 year old schnauzer that t s head very hard, and

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old schnauzer that hit his head very hard, and still hits it but now not as
bad. he now stands still and stares at the wall or a chair. he also will keep walking in
circles, with no explanation. he refusing to go out side to go to the bathroom, prefures
our carpet. PLEASE HELP!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I would be worried about a brain tumor with those signs. Meningiomas are common brain tumors in older medium and larger breed dogs. They cause many of these signs- circling, staring into space, head pressing, loss of potty training, seizures, ect.

The diagnosis is tough to make without an MRI or CT of the brain. If we suspect it, we'll often times use steroids (Prednisone) to help reduce tumor related swelling. That can help with the signs. It's not a cure, but it can help. If you want to cure this, then we're talking an MRI and brain surgery. This is often not an option due to limited availability and cost.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it has taken me so long to reply, my sweet dog keeps really busy. his name is Bubby.
so far thank goodness he has not changed. my daughter-in-law said the we must have is blood
tested, yes or no? I have x-rays done on my brain quite often, they don't test my blood for my brain
problems. which one is it on dogs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, you are absolutely correct, I myself are not x-rays they are MRI's. then about the only else we can do for our schnauzer
is to find an easy way to keep him calm, and let him stay with us as long as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the wait.

Yes, it's an MRI that we use on brains. To help keep him calm, you may want to talk to your vet about using Trazodone or Clomicalm or Acepromazine. These are all good sedatives to help with anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Gary,Thank you for your help with my dog, we have taken to a vet. We will keep him with me as long
as possible with him suffering to much. Thank You for your help. I have no more questions and
and need no comments. You helped me extremely well. Close this account today.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.