Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a Lab/Golden 10 yrs. She has developed large fatty

Customer Question
cells on one side and...
We have a Lab/Golden 10 yrs. She has developed large fatty cells on one side and near lower stomach. Had her checked and they said as long as it does not hurt or bother her, would not remove. We feel they might be putting extra weight and pressure on legs. She is on the heavy side.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The good news as you will be aware is that lipomas { fatty tumours } such as you describe are almost always benign and affected dogs are at no real risk of spread to internal organs etc. However they will usually keep growing albeit very slowly and so get larger and more heavy as time goes on.

2. My own advice is that as long as they are not causing the dog any problem then then they are best left in older dogs. However in your case you are suspicious that these lumps are in fact causing your dog problems, under such circumstances they are perhaps best removed surgically before the dog gets much older because as time goes by the problem may get slowly worse. While the surgery is usually very easy if you are going to go for it then the sooner the better is best before Amber get much older as the risks related to surgery will gradually increase as the dog gets older.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I should have said that there is no possible treatment for lipomas other than surgical removal ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the lipomas ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Amber. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian