Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is experiencing what seems to be like some severe

Customer Question

hello, my dog is experiencing what seems to be like some severe pain do to what i have boiled down to an anal sac impaction. he is a 4 lb pomeranian chihuahua, and he is pretty intolerant to pain. he is one to scream while brushing etc. but when i put my hand near his back right side he is very very sensitive and squeels. the vet opens in a few hours, but is this level of sensitiveness normal? he is acting very shy and not liking coming out of his kenel very much. he is normally non stop go go go play time. thankyou
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Severe impactions where the gland is being severely stretched are very painful. Often these dogs will be terribly sore until the gland is drained or even ruptures on its own (since the resulting wound is often less uncomfortable then the overfilled gland). So, his reactions are not surprising if we have an impaction lurking. And unfortunately, we will be limited with what we can do at home. Often these dogs are too sore to be expressed by their owners (and we don't want you to get bitten) and we don't have any OTC safe pain relief options that we can use either (especially as Aspirin, what we use on occasion, is a blood thinner and therefore not appropriate here if it did rupture). But in regards ***** ***** question, his behavior is not overboard as these are very sore. So, we'd want to let him settle, potentially warm compress it if he is amenable, but plan to get this checked/expressed and some dog safe pain relief from his vets as soon as they are open.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou, that really does relieve some stress. i am an over thinker and over worrier. cant imagine anything happening to my little guy. appreciate your annswer. he will be at the vet in 2 hours.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I completely understand, as it is never nice for our wee ones to be sore. But again we'd just want to let him settle if possible, and have his vet express this and start him on dog safe pain relief once they are open to get this all sorted for him.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet