Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY SWEET 14 YEAR OLD DOG HAS TERRIBLE BODY ODOR. i INHERITED

Customer Question

MY SWEET 14 YEAR OLD DOG HAS TERRIBLE BODY ODOR. i INHERITED FROM A FRIEND WHO NEVER MENTIONED THAT eLLIE "SMELLED" HER DENTAL HEALTH IS GOOD FOR A DOG HER AGE, HER EARS ARE IN FINE STATE AND SHE IS GROOMED AND ANAL GLANDS EXPRESSED ONCE A MONTH. sHE ACTUALLY COMES HOOM FROM THE "SPA" DAY SMELLING WORSE THATN THE WENT. wE USE A SPRAY THAT SEEMS TO SOOTH HER DRY SKIN, SHE DOESN'T SCRATCH NEARLY AS MUCH, BUT IF SHE BEGINS TO SCRATCH SHE WILL PULL HER FUR OUT IN CLUMPS!! i NEVER EVER NEW SHE HAD SUCH A PRETTY COAT UNTI I BEGAN USING THE SPRAY IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP HER ODOR IN CHECK.
i CAN TURN THE ROOM UNPSIDE DOWN AND IT BE SQEAKEY CLEAN...THEN SHAMPOO HER AND SHE SMELLS LIKE A PRINCESS...PUT THE ROOOM AND eLIE TOGETHER AND wow IT IS AWFUL
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Have you had your vet check this over yet? If so what was the vet's opinion?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ellie is under a vet's care and he is very laid back about the dog odor ...she says she is a hound and that hounds have that "wet outdoor smell". The dog is perfectly healthy otherwise. She did mention adding Dinomite to her diet and perhaps changing her food gradualy from so many carbs to a more meat based diet.
Thank you for your question
Susan

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Well I do not want to go against what your vet has said but many previous cases I have dealt with where an owner has tried all the remedies you have and the smell has persisted were down to low level chronic skin disease particularly fungal infections and bacterial infections. I guess you noted a yeasty smell?

2. I usually tried Malaseb washes twice a week, this product is very effective against fungal { yeast } infections and bacterial infections as well. If Malaseb works then you can gradually reduce the frequency of the washes. You can get Malaseb from your vet or order it online via the likes of Amazon. If this approach fails then sometimes a course of antibiotics can take care of things but the typical musty small is frequently related to Malassezia which is type of yeast.

3. Malaseb contains miconazole which is effective against fungi and chlorhexidine which is effective against bacteria.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Step by step. I will try the shampoo first. Then as you said consult with very good with animals but not proactive vet Bless His Heart.

Sounds like a good plan ..

Do not hesitate to get back to me if I can advise you further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the body odour ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?