Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had a gh fever when he was a puppy and as a result he

Customer Question
My dog had a high...
My dog had a high fever when he was a young puppy and as a result he has been death and either partially blind or totally blind in one eye his whole life.
Now he is lifting up one paw up. He is very disoriented when he walks and has been laying down a lot. That is not like him he is super hyper active all the time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify what "disoriented" implies? Is your dog ataxic ("drunken sailor")? Which paw is being lifted up, please? Does his mental state (mentation) appear altered to you? Does he recognize you and respond to your voice? How old and which breed is he? I'm concerned that you're seeing signs of either encephalopathy (brain disorder) or myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) or perhaps he's overall weakened by systemic disease. Are there any other symptoms that might clarify why he's behaving in this manner?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian