Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

6 year old female doberman was doing fine- took her to get a

Customer Question

6 year old female doberman was doing fine- took her to get a parvo booster and 3 days later- became incontinent and will not eat her regular food- took back to vet- had urinalysis and blood tests-{ i only know that the vet said all was fine except some elevated white blood cells- gave us bromain?? for incontinence and cindomycin?? for 10 days - its been 2 days and she still a bit incontinent { without the pills} and will only eat like pieces of turkey etc out of our hands- drinking a lot more than usual-
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The most common form of urinary incontinence - urethral incompetence (weak urethral musculature) is addressed with either DES or PPA. I don't know what "bromain" might be. I do know that clindamycin would be an unusual choice to address a urinary tract infection. It doesn't have the broad spectrum against urinary tract pathogens we would like to see.

I'm concerned that your Dobie is so inappetent and drinking more than usual. This is seen with kidney involvement when urinary tract infection is present but also secondary to more disorders than I could list in this venue. Your Dobie's incontinence may have occurred because she's forming an excess amount of urine after drinking so much. This is called polydipsia (increased thirst)/polyuria (increased volume or urine). Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I might be able to spot why she's polydipsic (and polyuric?) in those tests and/or recommend tests that should have been performed but weren't.

Hi Steven,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?